Alaska bound

WELCOME TO MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT A BLOG. I PLAN ON USING THIS SPACE TO SEND "REPORTS FROM THE ROAD" FOR A MOTORCYCLE TRIP MY FRIEND BOB AND I ARE TAKING THIS SUMMER. MASSACHUSETTS TO ALASKA! A FIVE WEEK ODYSSEY THROUGH BRITISH COLUMBIA, ALBERTA, The YUKON And ALASKA....ALL THE WAY TO THE ARTIC OCEAN. If you would like to be notified when we update this blog, simply drop me an email or send me a "comment" and I'll add you to the notify list......... THANKS FOR COMING ALONG FOR THE RIDE!

Monday, July 03, 2006

On the road........Really!


(Roy's turn)

Up bright and early Sunday AM on a search mission for a tent for Bob......Kinda adds to the adventure.....
We headed on out to Kalispell, absolutely an amazing ride on the western edge of Flathead lake. A huge thunder storm was having it's way with the lake, but we avoided even a drop of water as we rode around it rather than through it. This is one of the nice things about touring in the west. The sky is so wide open you can see weather approaching and just ride around it!
Once in Kalispell we had breakfast as we waited for the stores to open. And talk about stores! It has been three years since I've been in Kalispell and I can't believe the construction. Mall, shopping centers, housing......simply amazing......
We ultimately found a great sporting goods store and the perfect tent for Bob. But it was the last one and he needed to take the floor model...........Had I known this I would have negotiated in Bob's behalf and got him a deal..:-)
So now we are really on our way......An hour ride and we are in Glacier National Park, in just about perfect siteseeing weather...."Going To The Sun Road" is what they call the ride through the part. And entering the park West to East as we did this morning was just that!...WOW!......We weren't two miles into the park and I thought Bob was going to have sensory overload. I bet he shot twenty pictures in the first five miles! This is my third drive through the park but I'm here to tell you it is still something to see. I kept cautioning Bob that we would be going through the Canadian Rockies and although Glacier is great, it's chicken feed compared to Banff and Jasper , Alberta..........He'll soon find out!
After the ride through Glacier we crossed over the Can/American border into Alberta.......We hit a really neat hail storm that lasted about 1/4 mile........I'm glad I wear a full face helmet! I can't imagine what the Harley crowd does in a situation like that..........Next stop Waterton Lakes National Park to find a campsite and settle down for the night.................

2 Comments:

At Mon Jul 03, 06:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess Bob didn't have a checklist. What do you need a tent for anyway. The weather looks great. It's nice to see all is well. Be safe.


Mike

 
At Tue Jul 04, 03:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roy, hows the reception enroute? Is your monitor HD and what about DD5.1? I probably don't even have to ask - its probably all provided by the Tweeter Team!!

Bob, no tent, did you forget to tell Roy something?!?

Keep it coming guys, I can't wait to see shots of Alberta and BTW, when will the movie be released! Ride-ON!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home