Alaska bound

WELCOME TO MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT A BLOG. I PLAN ON USING THIS SPACE TO SEND "REPORTS FROM THE ROAD" FOR A MOTORCYCLE TRIP MY FRIEND BOB AND I ARE TAKING THIS SUMMER. MASSACHUSETTS TO ALASKA! A FIVE WEEK ODYSSEY THROUGH BRITISH COLUMBIA, ALBERTA, The YUKON And ALASKA....ALL THE WAY TO THE ARTIC OCEAN. If you would like to be notified when we update this blog, simply drop me an email or send me a "comment" and I'll add you to the notify list......... THANKS FOR COMING ALONG FOR THE RIDE!

Monday, July 03, 2006

(Bob has the BLOG today)

Dateline 1 July. We started the day in Miles City, MT, leaving at 0545. Immediately on the interstate, we spend the day (some 550) miles crossing the state to Polson where we are leaving the truck and beginning the riding experience. I-90 follows the pioneer route across the plains. We past Custers’ last stand, but don’t stop. That’s another trip.

On arrival at the house, it takes only an hour or so to unpack the bikes. A trip to town for supper, and we’re back to do final packing. Roy brought too much stuff, and creates a box to leave behind. Meanwhile, I’m looking at my camping gear bag and saying it looks too small. A ‘proof of life’ opening of the bag shows sleeping bag, thermarest pad, pillow, and Kermit chair. Oops! No tent. That’s back on the dining room table at home. So our schedule is changed to allow a stop in Kalispel, where there are three sporting goods stores. Anyone want to buy one of my four tents?

Yes, Roy does have a lot of stuff on the bike. But it’s fun stuff for sure. Need a spotting scope to see that chipmunk 300 yards away? No problem! We have no internet access here, so Roy will post this later and attach a couple of pics. Probably the first sighting of the mountains from I-90, the view of the mountains with a barn is from right down the street here in Polson (What a place!). And then a shot of the bikes packed and ready to go. We haven’t even started the good stuff yet, and already we’ve seen some beautiful country.

Tomorrow the adventure begins. Glacier Park and maybe crossing into Canada on our first day. We’re off!

1 Comments:

At Wed Jul 05, 11:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I am suprised I did not see yous guys in Miles City. I stopped there for lunch at the Subway shop on Wednesday the 28th.

Bill Peloquin Yankee Beemer

 

Post a Comment

<< Home