Alaska bound

WELCOME TO MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT A BLOG. I PLAN ON USING THIS SPACE TO SEND "REPORTS FROM THE ROAD" FOR A MOTORCYCLE TRIP MY FRIEND BOB AND I ARE TAKING THIS SUMMER. MASSACHUSETTS TO ALASKA! A FIVE WEEK ODYSSEY THROUGH BRITISH COLUMBIA, ALBERTA, The YUKON And ALASKA....ALL THE WAY TO THE ARTIC OCEAN. If you would like to be notified when we update this blog, simply drop me an email or send me a "comment" and I'll add you to the notify list......... THANKS FOR COMING ALONG FOR THE RIDE!

Thursday, July 06, 2006

ON THE ROAD..........





FANTASTIC................The trip in one word!

This post will go back two days as I haven't had time to update the BLOG in that length of time.

The night before last we spent in Revelstock BC. A neat little town in the Canadian Rockies. And then it was off to Lake Louise, Alberta. Some folks have called Lake Louise the most beautiful spot on earth. I wouls agree, but way too mant tourists for me..........I treated Bob to breakfast at the fancy dining room in the Lake Louise hotel. When we asked for a table, we were asked to "sit over there and wait"...........I can't understand why! Two guys, dressed in black motorcycle clothing, unshaven, and covered in bugs want to sit with the upper crust and we are asked to wait.....jeeze.....But finally they gave us a table by the window and we had a great breakfast........

From Lake Louise we traveled the Ice Field Parkway up to Jasper, Alberta.........Let me tell you. This is a MUST DO trip. I've been a bunch of places and nothing compares to the sites on this road as it snakes its way between mountains, glaciers and the deepest green/blue lakes you ever saw. I took no pictures as the last time I was through here I shot a bunch and they just do not do it justice. It's one of those places you need to experience to "get it"........

Jasper is where we spent the night. As I was checking into the campsite, the gal asked if we were using tents....when I suggested we were, she informed me that there was "elevated bear activity" in the campground...and added "Good Luck!". As we went to set up our tents I pointed out to Bob a nice pile of bear poop right where our campsite was...........Darn, I love adventure!

After setting up our tents we went into town for dinner. I love Jasper! A very hip, slightly 1960s throwback hippy kind of place. As we were leaving a bull elk decided to stroll right down main street. Stopping to nibble on the grass on the sidewalk. Bob was within 30 feet of him on his bike and the Elk paid him no mind...........Wildlife everywhere around Jasper.

We left Jasper at 5am and headed for Dawson Creek, which is "Mile 0" on the Alaskan Highway. About twenty miles outside of Jasper I had what will most likely be the highlight of my trip. On the side of the road were two grey Wolves. A male and a female. I got within 20 feet of them and they didn't seem concerned in the least. Unfortunately the only picture I got was very poor as the sun was directly behind them. But who cares........seeing wolves in the wild is an amazing treat! and to get "within there space"............well it just don't get any better!

Halfway to Dawson Creek we stopped for breakfast...............this is the routine. Wake at 4AM, on the bike by 4:30..........Ride for a few hours to see wildlife, eat...repeat.
While having breakfast we heard about forest fires in the area where we were headed and possible road closures. We'll find out more this AM as we head up the ALCAN.

We got to Dawson Creek and met up with some folks whom I've talked to on the internet on the Suzuki V-Strom forum. Great folks! We all had dinner together, great conversation, and then Bob and I snuck into their campsite for the night.

Dawson Creek is like a dream for me. I've wanted to do this Alaskan Highway since I was a kid. To stand infront if that "Mile 0" market was surreal........can't explain it..........guess I'm just weird! To travel over 1500 miles by bike and 2700 miles by truck to be here is well worth it.

But the journey is just beginning! By tonight we will be in Fort Nelson.........and then on to the Yukon!

4 Comments:

At Thu Jul 06, 06:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Dad what a trip!
Thank god for the face shield! Otherwise, you'd have a ton of bugs in your teeth from grinning so much!

ride safe!

-ang

 
At Thu Jul 06, 03:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're getting me so excited Roy that I wonder if I should sell my trip to Tuscany and trace your treads! Moose, wolfes, mountains, lakes - they are beautiful and, don't talk back and do not ask for an allowance. Are you sure your in BC or Alaska - maybe its
"H-e-a-v-e-n' on earth!! Ride-On YB's ride-on!

 
At Fri Jul 07, 01:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roy:Keeping up with you thru Steve. Jesus what a wonderful trip. Have linked blog to my friend Peter Houchins, who has about 30 or so high end bikes, Ducatis etc. Watch your top knot! TH Nickerson

 
At Fri Jul 07, 05:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Roy and Bob
I am really enjoying it so far.
Hoping to head up next year with Bryan,

Bill
Foster,RI

 

Post a Comment

<< Home