Alaska bound

WELCOME TO MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT A BLOG. I PLAN ON USING THIS SPACE TO SEND "REPORTS FROM THE ROAD" FOR A MOTORCYCLE TRIP MY FRIEND BOB AND I ARE TAKING THIS SUMMER. MASSACHUSETTS TO ALASKA! A FIVE WEEK ODYSSEY THROUGH BRITISH COLUMBIA, ALBERTA, The YUKON And ALASKA....ALL THE WAY TO THE ARTIC OCEAN. If you would like to be notified when we update this blog, simply drop me an email or send me a "comment" and I'll add you to the notify list......... THANKS FOR COMING ALONG FOR THE RIDE!

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Valdez.............RAIN!!



Well, all this great weather had to come to an end.......We left Anchorage for Valdez over the Glenn Highway.........Amazing sights, but the weather wasn't cooperating. It rained on an off for the total 303 miles. Temperatures up at Thompson pass were down to the 40s. We got up close and personal with the Worthington Glacier. This bad boy comes right down to the road. Although it has receded quite a bit in the last few years, it's still very impressive. From there it was on to the Valdez glacier. Not as impressive, but better than any glaciers we have in New England.....

Saw this truck that took a wrong turn......most likely rubber necking and missed the turn....No one was around the crash so I'm guessing they were taken to the hospital before we got there.

Tonight we are staying at the Best Western in Valdez and on Saturday we are taking a tour boat out to the Columbia Glacier to see calving icebergs and hopefully a few whales........

2 Comments:

At Sun Jul 16, 12:29:00 AM, Blogger Venturello said...

Been very intersting reading your blog, especially (for me!) all the info about preparing, what you took, etc. Not that the trip has been boring!

Thanks for taking the time to share!

Juan Miguel Venturello

 
At Mon Jul 17, 09:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello out there Roy and Bob,
We'll MOA Rally is this week. I'll be going up on Tuesday to help with the setup festivities - make sure the beer in the Beer Tent is flowing to spec!
I continue to follow your adventure through this blog and can't wait for the next chapter each day - or when they come. I talked to Jeff S. and the meeting yesterday and we both remarked how few people are aware of the Blog, even active YB'ers. We passed the word and told them they are missing a great adventure! I've also plotted you trip on one of my mapping programs and am enjoying the history/geography lesson at the same time. Well take care and (as I recently read on the BMWLT site) may you have miles of smiles and a safe ride! Ride-On, my friends, ride-on!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home