Alaska bound

WELCOME TO MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT A BLOG. I PLAN ON USING THIS SPACE TO SEND "REPORTS FROM THE ROAD" FOR A MOTORCYCLE TRIP MY FRIEND BOB AND I ARE TAKING THIS SUMMER. MASSACHUSETTS TO ALASKA! A FIVE WEEK ODYSSEY THROUGH BRITISH COLUMBIA, ALBERTA, The YUKON And ALASKA....ALL THE WAY TO THE ARTIC OCEAN. If you would like to be notified when we update this blog, simply drop me an email or send me a "comment" and I'll add you to the notify list......... THANKS FOR COMING ALONG FOR THE RIDE!

Monday, July 17, 2006

Valdez to Haines Junction.........



Dateline Monday July 17, 2006. Bob Ain’t Stoppin’ your reporter.

Well, we took a boat tour out of Valdez on Saturday to see the Columbia glacier as it dumps major ice into the ocean. Weather was light rain most of the day, and the clouds were hanging just a few feet off the ground. We did get to see bald eagles, sea lions, and sea otters, but the big whales and bears were all avoiding the bad weather. Actually, most of the bears have gone up river now following the salmon for a free meal. At the glacier, we saw massive ice flow leaving the moraine deposits at the foot of the glacier, but we couldn’t get through to the glacier itself because of poor visibility and too much ice in the water. Will try to put up some pics of this later.

On Sunday, we left Valdez in almost rain conditions, and headed over the Thompson pass (Richardson Highway). At the top of the pass, we crossed into thinning clouds and sunshine. Coming down off the pass, we had our first good weather in a few days and turned up the Tok cutoff towards Tok. This road takes the prize for the most under construction path of our trip so far. Miles of construction going from loose gravel as we’ve seen before and then into orange sized smooth stones with no hard track to follow. Very difficult going. We saw one white car that had left the road and rolled several times. A few minutes later the police and ambulances went by in response. At one point we were following a pilot quide car through an active work area when we came upon a bid gravel ditch with several options for tracks to follow on the bike. I quick picked one, and Roy behind me picked another. I lucked out. But Roy got to the point that the rut was deeper than the ground clearance on the bike so he simply stood up and got off. Help came from the cars in line and got him out before I could even stop.

Through Tok, we then headed for the Canadian border and crossed into the Yukon. I hope Roy can post a picture of the ‘Hostel’ we stayed in last night. The bedding was SO bad we both slept in our sleeping bags……… Pretty funny! Now Monday, and we are at Haines Junction, about to turn south for Haines, AK. This ‘Haines Road’ should offer bears feeding, and eagle sightings as we work our way south to Haines. As I write this, Roy is yakking on the phone doing executive stuff that we are not allowed to understand. Me, I’m on vacation. See you in a coupla weeks!

Oh! One final item. Time for an animal count. So far we’ve:
-Grinned down 2 Grizzlies
-Done doughnuts around 5 or 6 deer
-Been entertained by about 26 Elk
-Soared by about 6 bald eagles
-Morphed next to 4 or 5 Moose
-Regarded countless Richardson Ground Squirrels
-Jacked repeated Rabbits
-Prairie dogs. Oh my, perhaps a zillion.

Very Truly Yours,
Ain’t

5 Comments:

At Tue Jul 18, 11:31:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So far this looks like a great trip ! I have been following your story from the start and look forward to the updates. I'm in Southern California and I'm planning a trip with one other rider next year. This information will definately aid us in planning routes and destinations. Thanks for the details of your trip and website.

 
At Tue Jul 18, 02:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roy,

I've read every word on the blog, and now I want to take an adventure ride... as soon as I finish the one I'm on! For now, we're living vicariously through you, so keep up the good work and post some more pics as soon as you can.

Chris Bauer

 
At Tue Jul 18, 06:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Starting to pack for the Thursday trip to th' MOA. Mallory and I are meeting Kit for breakfast in Shelburne Falls, then on up Route 100. Doesn't sound like such an adventure, paved roads all the way, as much as 30-40 miles between $3 a gallon gas stations, but we'll take a photo or two nevertheless. Blog is great. Keep 'em coming; and you two keep going yourselves!

 
At Thu Jul 20, 01:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pics are great, and the stories sound like they could go on for days. Certainly beat the ones I could share with you from here...

 
At Fri Jul 21, 12:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I was raised in Anchorage and when I heard about your planned trip up North there was no way, no how, I thought you guys would be able to do it. You showed a lot of intestinal fortitude on your trip. Good luck trying to explain it back home. Now it's time for me to go get a drink and see if I can wash some of this crow
down...again...Congratulations!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home